Unfortunately, scam attempts are common in the online re-sale industry. Be extremely cautious of emails that contain very bad English or use poor grammar. This is one of the first signs that it is a scam. Also, look for these common red flags:
- Offers you more money than you're asking. This is a huge red flag.
- Enquiry into your dress is initiated by a text message.
- Isn't interested in the details of the dress.
- Won't give you a valid mailing address, or has an overseas address.
- Does not want to talk on the phone.
- Offers payment in cashier's check, money order, wire transfer, etc.
- Suggests shipping is handled via their shipping or courier service.
- Buying an item for a family member of friend.
A popular scam is for a person that agrees to purchase your item with a check that is for an amount in excess of what you are asking. They send you a fake check and ask that you immediately send the excess money back before the bank has a chance to determine that the check is bad.
IMPORTANT: If you have any concerns, ask if you can speak with the buyer on the phone. A scammer will be reluctant to speak with you on the telephone.
Follow These Common-Sense Rules
- Accept only your listed price as payment. Never accept more.
- Deal only with people who you can speak with directly.
- Never wire funds via Western Union, or any other wire service.
- Never accept cashier's checks, money orders, etc.
- Never give out financial information (social security numbers, check account numbers, etc)
Here is one example of a scam:
i will like to purchase the wedding dress you have for sale and i am willing to offer $1450,kindly let me know if it is still available for sale. Have a nice Day. Kindly send me more picture if you have."
And another example:
Thanks so much for your fast response... The Cashiers Check that will be issued will include the money for the sales of your item+ the shipping cost . You are required to cash the cashiers check same day you recieve it and deduct the funds for the sales of the item and have the excess funds sent to the Shipping Co. Rep. via Western Union Money Transfer at one of their outlets around you in order to schedule the pick up of the item. All neccesary transfer papers will be duely signed by the Shipping Co. Rep on behalf of me when the shipping agents comes for the pick up of the item at your base or item location.
kindly get to me with the information asap so that the check can be mailed out to you in a timely manner.Thanks for your time."
If you are unsure about an email, please forward it to us and we will review the email to verify it's legitimacy.
Please note, Wore It Once is not involved in any transaction and makes no guarantees or offers protection for buyers or sellers. All transactions are strictly between buyer and seller.